Sunday, October 25, 2015

I'm late. I thought this party started in October of 2015.

So many years ago, a hilarious incident happened when I hosted a baby shower. It was so long ago, this particular baby is in high school.

My so-funny-it-hurts friend showed up late for the 9 a.m. event, and as she walked in the door, she said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this started at 9:22."

And here I am, starting to blog. Sorry - I thought this party started in Fall 2015.

I have lots to say - about education, about rural schools, about first-generation college goers, about late onset running, about why I can't buy a single bloody thing that works the moment you take it out of the box - and I hope to find an audience through this blog to share in these conversations.

Soon to come, I promise thee:

1. A list of my favorite bloggers.

2. A list of my favorite podcasts.

3. An actual professionally web-designed appearance

Soon to come, I warn you:

1. At least one whiny post about running and why I am so slow.

But first! Speaking of late to the party, this week I was introduced to Google Translate. I can't even, can't EVEN wait to share this with my students.


Here's the plan, so far:

They are writing letters to their personal heroes, and many of these letters are in Spanish. I hope to use Google Translate's photo thingy to see a little bit of what they are writing.

Often, my non-native speakers say something like, "There's this saying in Spanish, but I don't know how to say it in English." Boom! Google Translate microphone thingy!

I will report back. I promise!




No comments:

Post a Comment